After discussing my project and the concepts I had in mind for the project I found myself having the idea finally clear and well defined. However, I found myself unable to progress from it just being a well defined “concept” and wasn’t sure how I should realise it as a tangible thing that exists in reality.
I went back looking over how the various projects and discussions I had with people lead me to finalise this concept in particular my interest in fiction and the science-fiction genre of film.
I went and looked back at Blade Runner the focus of the project exploring the relationship of the ‘Voight-Kampff’ machine and how it was used in the universe of the film. Within the film, it is operated by a ‘Blade Runner’ to aid in helping identify whether or not a person is or isn’t real. Looking closely at the machine it focuses on a specific part of the body (the eye in the case of the film) so the operator can focus on it during the process, as it can also detect things that the operator cannot.
Much like how it is ultimately a tool in aiding identification it is ultimately up to the Operator – the ‘Blade Runner’ to decide and make a intuitive assumption based on their knowledge. I wanted to develop and make this a foundation in the concept. This ‘Voight-Kampff’ of today would be a “mock” tool that would aid in people to intuitively identify deepfakes through a learning process liken to a game.
I looked back over the small task I created which during the ‘In-Progress-Exhibition’ looking at what happened and what I could have done to improve upon it. The setup involved 4 examples with faces of real people and these computer generated deep fakes – the goal was to see if people could identify the differences using another shoot with some hints to spot them out. However, I found out that people weren’t using the sheet as intended, as I think partially due to the way I had arranged and the information I wrote made it seem like some further description rather than help. Whilst, the help sheet didn’t work as intended I noticed that people where starting to pick up clues as I gave them hints or examples and guided them through.
This first concept played around with what I had presented for the exhibition where someone would be presented with a range of deepfakes and real people like in the task, and they were simply given the task of picking 4 without knowing what would happen.
These would then be “analysed” detailing the specifics of whether these were ‘fakes’ (Deepfakes) or real or not explaining why and how they are fakes and giving the user some idea of how to tell them apart.
The user then went back to the previous page this time with further advice, and had to select 4 ‘fakes’. Using the knowledge they had acquired and as mentioned before ‘intuitively identify them’ all correctly – this would teach them how to differentiate between them.
Once they had selected 4 correct – they would then be presented with some further information on deepfakes and the inspiration behind the project in particular highlighting that this was only once specific area of this ‘Deepfake Technology’.
The second concept is extremely similar to the first however, instead of selecting from a wide range you’d select from 5 fakes and real images of varying difficulties to identify.
Which would then lead to the similar process of going back to identifying which images are fake or not, however over 4-5 different task and guessing between 1-2 fakes each.